The British Methodist Episcopal Church
The British Methodist Episcopal (BME) Church has long been a part of Black History in Owen Sound. Established in 1856 on the Sydenham River near 8th street and the Mill Dam, this Church has served the black community’s spiritual needs for 146 years. Its primary outreach was to former slaves who had reached Canada via the Underground Railroad, before and during the American Civil War. In 1911 the original building was abandoned and the congregation moved into the present brick structure location on 11th street West. Founders of the Emancipation Day Picnic celebrations in Owen Sound, this tradition continues today after 140 years without a break. Designated in 1985 as an Ontario Heritage Building in Owen Sound, by Lieutenant Governor Lincoln Alexander.